Best .22 Caliber Air Rifle
If you are aiming to enhance your small game hunting experience and always hit your mark then a .22 caliber air rifle can get the job done. These guns can be an indispensable tool if you are looking to target pests from medium to large sizes. Even if you are just a gun lover looking at add to your collection, there is a wide range of amazingly engineered and high-powered rifles on the market right now.
A .22 caliber air rifle is the jack of all trades in the field when it comes to game that is a bigger than a squirrel or has dense fur like a rabbit. They are not as good as a .177 for long range targets, but for power at a closer range they are definitely the best choice for power and versatility.
We have researched and compiled a wealth of information on the best guns on the market at moment. Our aim is to provide you with the most relevant information to help you make the best choice for your needs so you’ll be happy with your new rifle.
The term ‘.22’ refers to the internal diameter of the ammunition, (BB or pellet) and the .22 caliber of air rifle is better suited for hunting medium to large sized pests than a .177 caliber rifle. If you shoot larger pests with a smaller .177 caliber you tend to only injure game and they are still healthy enough to make an escape. To get the best results from your hunt, it is desirable to have a gun which offers higher velocities ranging from 500-900 fps. Depending on the type of game or pest you are looking to hunt, it should be noted that a .22 caliber gun will not deliver the range or speed that a smaller .177 gun would have, but the larger .22 caliber packs a much harder punch with a much better change at penetration.
A general precaution that should be kept in mind while using a .22 caliber rifle is that it should not ever be used with BBs. While some .177 rifles have a universal style bore that is smoother and made of a harder material than a bore designed for pellets only, using BBs in a .22 gauge rifle can chip the rifling in the bore of the gun resulting in loss of accuracy and you’re just plain hurting the gun. If you desire a gun which is compatible with both BBs and pellets you will have to use a smaller gauge.
22 Air Rifle Reviews
Benjamin Trail NP2 Air Rifle, Black air rifle
A remarkably well designed gun combining several astounding features designed to meet and exceed your hunting needs. Highlights of the features are:
- Nitro Piston 2, a fantastic leap forward over spring loading. This feature alone offers it’s own set of perks. Easier cocking, smoother shooting, less kickback, no spring fatigue (you can leave it loaded), it works better than a spring in cold weather and best of all it lasts a lot longer.
- Ambidextrous synthetic thumbhole style stock
- Comes with 3-9x32 scope
- Greatly improved 2 stage trigger
- The barrel is made of steel and delivers high precision
- Integrated noise suppression system
This rifle is the complete package being designed for small game. Target shooting, varmint hunting and pest controlling are all middles names of this gun.
Optimus Air Rifle (.22) with Scope
This rifle offers a handsome combination of classic hardwood styling and power. It is carefully designed to be used ambidextrously without any loss in comfort and usability for lefties or righties. This gun is known for it’s impressive shot speed and fair price tag.
To give an overview of its features:
- Break barrel with spring action
- The velocity is 950 feet per second (FPS) with alloy pellets
- There is an impressive precision scope of 4x32mm from CenterPoint or you have the option of micro-adjustable rear sight with fiber optic front sight
- Easy cocking
- Adjustable two stage trigger
Ideal for target shooting and pest control, this is one of the best general guns available on the market.
3. Benjamin 392 Bolt Action Variable Pump Air Rifle (.22)
Definitely one of the top notch competitors. This is one of the more highly powered rifles that is known for deadly accuracy and is truly a classic. It’s shorter barrel and stocky body are very distinct and just scream power.
- The design of the stock is based on the Monte Carlo classic rifle
- Stock is made from American hardwood
- The barrel is made of brass
- Sights are fully adjustable
- The velocity is 685 FPS
- Variable pump action, pump a little for target practice or a lot for larger pests
- A whopping 14.9 FPE (foot pounds of energy)
It is a true and reliable classic for larger pest control and target shooting.
Crosman Nitro Venom Break Barrel Air Rifle (22) powered by Nitro Piston
Complete package which combines precision, power, style and elegance. Moreover, the features make it the true champion of the field. To go through some of the features:
- Nitro Piston 2, again is a fantastic leap forward over spring loading. This feature alone offers it’s own set of perks. Easier cocking, smoother shooting, less kickback, no spring fatigue (you can leave it loaded), it works better than a spring in cold weather and best of all it lasts a lot longer.
- Ambidextrous thumbhole style stock with raised cheekpieces
- Comes with 3-9x32 scope
- Greatly improved 2 stage trigger
- Fluted muzzlebreak reduces kickback and improves accuracy
- Offers a wider surface on it’s forearm to rest in your palm comfortably
- Suitable for artillery hold shooting position
- The velocity is 950 FPS for alloys and 800 FPS for lead
- Delivers a whopping 21 FPE
Having the wider forearm and sculpted rubber recoil pad, this gun is comfortably equipped for pest control and small game hunting.
Benjamin Varmint Power Pack Air Rifle with 4x 32mm Scope, 0.22-Calibre
This is one of the more remarkable choices if you are seeking something to eradicate raccoons, squirrels and other unwanted animals. The barrel is powered by Crossman’s Nitro Piston technology which has been taking the industry by storm. This rifle is powerful, precise and efficient in terms of overall performance as well as having very modern features and stying.
The features include:
- Astounding velocity of 1200 FPS
- All the benefits of Nitro piston Technology
- Included flashlight is a 90-lumen LED that is recoil proof
- The riflescope is of 3-9x32 mm
- Has laser sight built into the scope
- Low vibration
This gun is a bit heavier than other guns but it packs a lot of useful modern features. If you can carry it you will love it.
With a wide variety of .22 caliber air guns available in the market, it is easy to get lost in features and specs. The best way to make the proper choice is to have insight about the different advantages of each feature and assess what exactly your will be hoping to achieve with this rifle.